1) Addresses for Immigration Removal Centres (IRC) / Short Term Holding Centres

1a) UKBA Enforcement Instructions and Guidance - Chapters 1-62 [Guidance and information for officers dealing with enforcement immigration matters within the United Kingdom.]

1b) Immigration Rules

1c) HC 321: Severe Removal/Deportation Warning

2) Facing imminent removal/deportation - involving your MP
Your MP does not have any powers to cancel a removal/deportation, but if 'new and compelling information has emerged, they may contact the Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) or the Minister's Private Office directly.'

2b) You can contact your MP via House of Commons switchboard on 020 7219 3000 and ask for your MP by name. If you do not know their name then phone the House of Commons Information Office on 020 7219 4272

Contact your Member of Parliament (MP), Member of European Parliamend (MEPs), Member of Scottish Parliament (MSPs), Councillors, or Northern Ireland, Welsh and London Assembley Members(This Free service is provided by WriteToThem.com)

3) Children's Legal Centre A unique, independent national charity concerned with law and policy affecting children and young people.

4A) Asylum Research Consultancy (ARC)
ARC provides a country of origin information research service to support asylum claims and undertakes research, advocacy and training to improve the quality of refugee status determination

5) Voluntary Assisted Return and Reintegration Programme (VARRP100

Please note: People who leave the UK voluntarily at their own expense or at the expense directly or *indirectly of the Secretary of State or are removed/deported by order of the Secretary of State. *Indirectly: Includes families/individuals returning on any assisted voluntary return scheme as above!

These people will face a one/five/ten year period 'mandatory refusal'of any application to re-enter the UK

Mandatory refusals are retrospective for those who left before 17 March 2008 and are not in the protected categories.

6) Making a Fresh Asylum Claim

8) Making a bail application: Bail for Immigration Detainees(BID) is an independent charity that exists to challenge immigration detention in the UK. They work with asylum seekers and migrants, in removal centres and prisons, to secure their release from detention.

9) Important notice for Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender (LGBT) who have been refused asylum and all legal avenues exhausted up to 7th July 2010

You can now ask UKBA for your case to be reviewed in light of the judgement of the Supreme Court in HJ (Iran) & HT (Cameroon).   More details here . . . . .

10) Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture (MF): a registered charity established in 1985, is the only organisation in the UK dedicated solely to the treatment of torture survivors.

11) Child's age is an objective question of fact [Disputed age assessment]

Where social workers disputed an unaccompanied asylum seeker's claim to be under the age of 18, and so entitled to local authority accommodation, the question of age was an objective fact subject, in the event of challenge, to determination by the court.

12) Medical Justice: network of volunteers who expose/challenge/medical abuse in immigration detention.

13) Your Documents! You are entitled to the originals or copies of every document the Home Office, your solicitor/caseworker issue that concerns your case; it is your right in law.

14) Workpermit.com. Immigration/Migration advice site

15) Legal services for persons detained in Immigration Removal Centres

15a) Make a Complaint. Bad Solicitors, Not answering your calls, lousy representation, ruining your case!

16) UK Embassies world wide

17) Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) Travel Advice

18) European Court of Human Rights ~ If you are facing removal/deportation/extradition and removal directions have been set and only if they have been set, and all legal avenues in the UK have been exhausted, and you have strong grounds as to why the removal/deportation/extradition should not take place, you can make an emergency application to the ECtHR under Rule 39 to have the removal stayed.

18a.  Your Europe Advice - and it's Free
Your Europe Advice (YEA) is an independent service of the European Commission which provides free advice about EU rights. YEA accept requests for advice from individuals and charities.  These questions might be about immigration or residence rights under EU law which accounts for a substantial proportion of enquiries.

The Your Europe Advice describes itself as follows:

"Your Europe Advice is a team of independent legal experts who can:

provide free and personalised advice in your language, within a week
clarify the European law that applies in your case
explain how you can exercise your EU rights"

To make an enquiry go here . . . .

19)  UKBA detention capacity @ 1st June 2011

As of today there are a total of 3,428 bed spaces, in Immigration Removal Centres (IRCs) and Short Term Holding Facilities (STHFs).

21) Long Residense Update: Have you lived in the UK 'illegally' for 14 years?

Long Residence Rules  -  ILPA Information briefing ~ Compiled July 2008 

22) HIV/AIDS - Possible arguments to remain in the UK on Health grounds - List of questions a Solicitor should check for his client who needs to remain in the UK for HIV (Health) grounds.

22a) British HIV Association (BHIVA) guidelines on 'Detention, Removal and People Living with HIV'

1) 3 months supply of anti-retroviral medication should be supplied to people with HIV on removal

2) they should also be given a letter for their future treating physicians, and

3) contact details of trusted HIV support organisations in the country the detainee is being removed to.

See Medical Justice Briefing -- ---

Download: BHIVA guidelines: Detention, Removal and People Living with HIV

23)  Asylum and Immigration Forms     -    Courtesy of Northern Refugee service
Table of main asylum, immigration, and nationality forms. Includes forms for EEA documents, integration loans and travel documents. Updated to 14th January 2010.

24) Family freely entitled to join refugee granted citizenship

Family members who apply to enter the United Kingdom to join a sponsor who had been granted asylum do not have to meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements imposed by the ordinary rules relating to applications by family members, even if the sponsor had obtained British citizenship.

25) Important notice for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) who have been refused asylum and all legal avenues exhausted up to 7th July 2010

26) Important Information for Refugees granted leave to remain for 5 years in 2005

27) Victims of domestic violence without indefinite leave to remain
If your relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK has broken down as a result of domestic violence, you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (permission to stay permanently in the UK). You may also be eligible for financial help through the Sojourner project.

How to apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK (known as 'indefinite leave to remain') if you are a victim of domestic violence. Page also provides contact details for organisations offering support and advice to victims.

Relevant case law: Ahmed Iram Ishtiaq Appellant - and - SSHD

UNHCR's Refworld
Refworld is the leading source of information necessary for taking quality decisions on refugee status

ontains a vast collection of reports relating to situations in countries of origin, policy documents and positions, and documents relating to international and national legal frameworks.

Information is carefully selected and compiled from UNHCR's global network of field offices, Governments, international, regional and non-governmental organizations, academic institutions and judicial bodies.


Last updated 10 July, 2016